Nataku
by Jade Watersilk

**********

*Why do I do it? Why do I still fight? I'm not even sure that I believe in what we're fighting for. What are we fighting for?*

I look up at Nataku and smile. I'm sure that She doesn't approve when I'm like this; self-doubting. She was always strong . . . stronger then I gave Her credit for.

I'm sorry . . .

As I sit by Nataku, I hug my knees to my chest. I lean back and idly watch a flock of herons that have gathered nearby.

They are beautiful, the herons. Only She was any match for the beauty of nature . . . But still, with beauty came frailty and now She was dead.

My thoughts wander, and I travel back to every place that I have been; the cool woods, the warm see, and even the cold of space. I may have been caught up in battle whenever I found the beauty of our universe, but I'm not so shallow that I don't make note of it.

My smile fades as the memories of destruction overcome the beauty. Villages becoming flaming wreckage, trees being lose to our weapon's fire, and countless lives are lost. Does our duty really have to cause such devastation? I really wonder sometimes.

I sigh and look back at the herons; they are still playing their silly little carefree game. They probably don't realize that there will be some sort of predator watching them, waiting for a chance to steal their peace. And when the time comes, they will be vulnerable to any attack or onslaught.

I frown. They must know this because it always happens, yet they will always strive for happiness. It is in their nature.

Somehow I feel that Nataku is watching them with me, and is smiling. I also feel a smile blossom on my face.

This is my purpose, my fight; to protect this childlike innocence and hope, and to make sure that there is happiness without fear.

As I stand there, smiling, I can almost feel Her there, beside me. And She is happy, so I am happy. OWARI

**********

Author's notes: My first story that doesn't focus on Duo, or without him ^_^;; This also my apology fic to Anikka for what I did to Wufei in 'I Will Alway's Love You'. Anyways, I hope that you all enjoy this Questions, comments, flames, just want to bitch at somebody, drop me a line!

**********

Disclaimers: I don't own Duo, or any of the other Gundam Boys (although I'd like to). I don't own the Gundam Universe or any of it's affiliates. I'm just an author who is borrowing Shin Kidousenki's ideas. Thank you Shin!